Saturday 3 March 2007

Infidelity


As is the case with many of the topics covered in PH1000 - Being Bad, infidelity itself is subject to question. People have different ideas of what constitutes infidelity. I agree that having sex or striking up a secret relationship with someone else is infidelity. I was quite surprised that some people class flirting or finding someone else attractive as cheating.
In my view, infidelity is a bad thing (because of the deceit involved), but I do think there are situations when a person may feel driven to do so. For example, a woman in an article on the handout (from the lecture), committed adultery after being deprived of sexual affection from her husband for ten years. Although I understand that she must have been frustrated, the right thing to do would have been to end her marriage first. That is if she couldn't resolve the problem with her husband.
During the lecture, some people suggested that people who don't marry but have different long term partners at different times instead are behaving badly. I think it is wrong to suggest that to be committed and remain faithful to someone, you should marry them. Many couples stay together for a lifetime without being married and without straying.
Below is a link to an interesting article I found about Einstein and infidelity.
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/article1171410.ece

Oh my God (sorry for blasphemeing)! There's a whole blogging thing about infidelity! Read on!
http://infidelityrants.blogspot.com/

No comments: